Zoic Studios is an Award winning VFX company made up of accomplished artists and producers who understand story, process and relationships. Partnership, integrity and enthusiasm are our key founding principles. We have three locations, Los Angeles, New York City and Vancouver, Canada. Some of our recent credits include, The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Stargirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Arrow.
"Visual Evolution" is our mission; we invest in constantly improving our technological and studio processes so that our artists can focus on being creative even in the lightning fast paced world of visual effects. We apply these principles to our work on some of the most VFX intensive film and television projects out there. We like a challenge. Do you?
We are currently seeking an Environment Supervisor for our Vancouver studio. This is a newly created position that will oversee all 3D environment work. The Environment Supervisor works with Zoic’s internal departments on 3D environment concepts and designs and shots. A large part of the position will include undertaking the integration of this newly formed department to Zoic’s existing pipeline. This position requires duties that include a strong supervisory, creative and technical skill set. The Environment Supervisor reports to the Head of Digital.
This is a full time, staff position.
- Identify 3D/2.5D/Live Action requirements, and ensures all required pieces and tasks are distributed to artists
- Play a key role in the development and structure of the newly created Environment Department and how it will fit in to overall, current pipeline
- Directly oversee team that includes DMP artists and CG generalists
- Work with VFX, Compositing, and CG Supervisors to determine methodology on a given environment based on pre and post viz
- Work closely with the Build Department with respect to asset builds
- Work alongside with Digital Matte Painting Lead to execute matte painting tasks
- Assign tasks, shots and work to Environment team
- Understand strengths and skills sets of team members in order to cast work accurately
- Create and build a studio environment kit that can be reused for future projects
- Understand the Zoic pipeline and contribute in the development of tools as it pertains to environment builds
- Attend Pipeline meetings to identify tools that are required and help prototype and test new tools as it pertains to environment dept.
- Identify reusable non-show specific assets and publish to Depot library for future projects
- Ensure assets and environments are optimized and renderable according to studio needs and specifications
- On-the-box in order to assist team and other departments understand shot requirements and set ups
- Proactively communicate with relevant Supervisors and Production team members to ensure all necessary individuals and departments are aware of shot statuses and potential issues
- Communicate directly with Environment team regarding feedback of work and overall performance
- Provide artist performance feedback to artists as well as to direct reports, HR and management
- Attend dailies, interviews, administrative, recruitment and managerial meetings as required
- Select, mentor, train and manage teams of up to 10 artist
- Manage new hire orientation and training
- Minimum 7 years’ experience within live action VFX
- Minimum 3 years’ experience as an Environment Supervisor with a proven track record of delivering shots and leading teams of artists
- Experience in developing and integrating a new department in to existing vfx pipeline
- Expert knowledge:
- Substance Painter
- Vray – working knowledge
- Nuke – working knowledge
- Python – a plus
- Experience in all aspects of the 3D Pipeline: Modelling, Texturing, Shading, Colour Theory (Technical & Creative)
- Ability to evaluate workload vs. resources and provide accurate delivery estimates
- Collaborative leadership style; always working to achieve common goals in terms of delivery and quality
- Exceptional interpersonal communication including conflict resolution, negotiation, note interpretation, creative to technical translation, technical to creative translation
- Ability to troubleshoot technical, creative and interpersonal issues
- Ability to adapt to changing priories or new technology / processes as required
- Proven leadership skills in both organization and delegation
- Exceptional ability to clearly communicate, to variety of personalities on both creative and technical topics
- Excellent time management skills
- Adaptable to change
- Experience within a fast pace environment
- Team player
- High work ethic
- Must showcase all above-listed qualifications with updated resume and reel/link
BC Residents Preferred.